Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Appaloosa

I'd like to kick this blog off by starting with the most recent Western I have seen. My wife and I were preparing to celebrate our 13th anniversary. We usually go out for dinner and a movie of her choice. Now you have to understand that she has stated on many an occasion her disdain for Western movies. Therefore, I was pleasantly surprised when she suggested the latest western called "Appaloosa". She really does love me! Anyway, I had read an article about this movie in "True West" magazine so I had an idea that it was going to be a good one. However I did not realize just how great this would be!

According to the article I read, Ed Harris had been wanting to do this movie for quite some time. I believe he and his crew really did the research required to create this wonderfully authentic period piece. The town, the clothing and the firearms that would have been present in that period are all here. I also apreciated the fact that there was no "flashy" gun play. It was just happening and that was that. Nothing fancy.

The title of the film is the town in which the film is set. Ed Harris plays the tough, no nonsense gun for hire. He has a set of morals which he believes is the only way to be. His partner is played by Viggo Mortensen. He is faithful to his pal even when he doesnt seem to fully understand the reasons behind his pal's sudden violent outbursts.

This movie is now out on DVD and I highly recommend you give it a shot as it is, in my opinion, one of the best westerns I have seen in quite awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment